Hernando County, Florida’s Adventure Coast
Weeki Wachee North Community is centrally located on the west coast of Florida, 15 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico, 45 minutes north of Tampa and 60 miles west of Orlando. We are conveniently located off U.S. 19, north of Hwy 50, and six and a half miles north of the Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, home of the “Live Mermaids.” We are part of Hernando County, Florida’s Adventure Coast, the center for outdoor activities. Hernando County has an abundant amount of conservation lands, wildlife refuge parks, and nature preserves. The coast is known for some of the best fresh and saltwater fishing, boating, canoeing and kayaking in the state. If golf is your game, Hernando County has 17 well-designed golf courses. Florida’s Adventure Coast is a great place to find the best outdoor fun and adventures to fit your active lifestyle!
About the Hernando County Area, www.naturallyhernando.org
- Hernando County Parks and Recreation Department, www.hernandocounty.us, offers many programs in a variety of locations throughout Hernando County as well as providing a quality park system and leisure activities for all residents
- The Hernando County Public Library, www.hcpl.lib.fl.us, is an excellent library that was awarded the “Florida Library of the Year Award for 2013”
- The World Woods Golf Club, www.worldwoods.com, is a 5-Star Public Golf Course located 15 minutes north east of the Community; it is known as the “Best Practice Facility in the World” and Golf Week Magazine (2013) has rated it as the “Best Course You Can Play in Florida”!
- Sherman Hills Golf Club, www.shermanhillsgolf.com, located in Brooksville, offers 18 holes of golf on a course designed for all levels of skill.
- Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge, www.fws.gov/chassahowitzka, is located at the edge our Community. The Refuge provides opportunities for you to canoe, kayak and bike and is made up of 31,000 acres of saltwater bays and marshes and is home to over 250 species of birds, 50 species of reptiles and amphibians and 25 different species of mammals.
- Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge Park, www.fws.gov/crystalriver, is home to the endangered Manatees, the “Gentle Giants”; you can swim and snorkel with the Manatees in their natural habitat; Crystal River is within 20 minutes from the Community north on U.S. 19.
- Pine Island Park is located just 20 minutes from the Community. This beautiful three-acre park set among palm trees includes Pine Island Beach, a white sand beach with swimming area, plus picnic tables, barbeque grills and a concession area.
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park, “The City of Live Mermaids” located along the Gulf Coast of Florida, just 6 miles from the Community is Florida’s only spring fed waterpark, Buccaneer Bay with white sandy beaches, thrilling flume rides, beach volleyball, lazy river rides, coves and much more.
- Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park, www.floridastateparks.org/park/homosassa-springs, is a part of the Florida State Parks and is just 12 miles from the Community; the park showcases native Florida wildlife; it is one of the best places in the state to view manatees, while also showing, black bears, bobcats, white-tailed deer, American alligators, American crocodiles, and river otters.
- The Chassahowitzka River, www.swfwmd.state.fl.us, is a spring-fed 5-mile long river running through 5500 acres of wildlife preserves in Homosassa Florida, a short 15 minutes from the Community; it has great sport fishing, camping, hiking, bicycling, bird watching, boating and paddling.
- Bayport Fishing Pier, www.hernandocounty.us, is located in Spring Hill at the end of State Road 50 in the 7 acre Bayport Park; you can launch your boat and head out to the Gulf of Mexico for some great fishing.
Pine Island Beach
- Hernando Sportsman’s Club, www.hernandosportsmansclub.com, is located within the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area in Hernando County only 5 minutes from the Community; the club provides an opportunity for firearms enthusiasts to enjoy a wide variety of shooting activities
- Howard’s Flea Market, www.howardsfleamarket.com, is the largest Flea Market in Citrus Country with 800 covered booths covering 55 acres; they have been awarded “The Best of Best” by the Citrus County Chronicle every year since 1996.
- There is plenty of Shopping with a large number of “Big Box” Stores located 8 miles south on U.S. 19 and 5 miles east on S.R. 50
- Gulf View Square Mall, www.simon.com/mall/gulf-view-square, located off of U.S. 19 in New Port Richey includes major retailers like Macy’s, Dillard’s, J. C. Penney, T.J. Maxx and Sears plus more than 100 specialty shops and a food court
- Hernando County has numerous Restaurants, over 100 chain eateries from Hooters to Applebee’s but there are also a number of great local eateries with distinctive regional recipes, individual creative flare and are recognized by the locals as the “best home town fare”; the Community Office has the list of “Secret Eateries”
- The Show Palace Dinner Theater, www.showpalace.net, located in Hudson is a short 20 minute drive from the Community; the theater offers the magic of live theatre and gourmet dining all in one place
- Two Movie Theatres, 15 minutes from the Community are: GTC Beacon Theatres – Brooksville, www.movietickets.com and Spring Hill Theatre, www.fandango.com
- The Citrus County Speedway, www.citruscountyspeedwayandtrack.com, is the “Friendliest Track in the South” located in Inverness, two miles south of S. R. 44 on U.S. 41 at the Citrus County Fairgrounds
- The Stage West Theater is a Community Playhouse located in Spring Hill, a quick 15 minute ride from the Community
Healthcare in the Hernando County Area
There are several modern medical facilities serving the Hernando County and surrounding areas.
- Bayfront Health Brooksville, located within 15 miles from the Community is an accredited Chest Pain Center and a Primary Stroke Center that offers advanced cardiac care and state-of-the-art technologies with a highly skilled cardiac team that assembles in minutes to treat heart attacks and coronary blockages; they are the first hospital in Hernando County to offer robotic surgery
- Oak Hill Community Hospital, www.oakhillhospital.com, is known for its Emergency Care Center along with the Primary Stroke Center and Chest Pain Center, all within 10 miles of the Community
- Bayfront Health Spring Hill, www.springhillregional.net, is an acute care hospital providing inpatient, outpatient and emergency care; it serves as a Designated Primary Stroke Center in Spring Hill, Florida and is located 14 miles from the Community
- James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, www.tampa.va.gov, located in Tampa, Florida honors America’s Veterans with quality health care services; it is 50 miles from the Community
- Greyhound, www.greyhound.com, a station is located in Spring Hill, a quick 15 minute drive from the Community
- Amtrak, www.amtrak.com, provides passenger rail service; the Tampa Station Building is located at 601 North Nebraska Ave in Tampa an hour drive from the Community!
- Tampa International Airport, www.tampaairport.com, is one of the top 3 airports in North America and top 5 in the world just 60 miles south of the Community
- St Pete-Clearwater International Airport, www.fly2pie.com, provides non-stop service between Tampa Bay and convenient destinations throughout the US and Canada
- Interstate 75, and the Veterans Expressway/Suncoast Parkway (SR 589), the north south toll road near theFlorida Gulf Coast runs thru Hernando County
- Pasco-Hernando State College, www.phsc.edu/campuses/spring-hill-campus, the Spring Hill Campus is located at the edge of the city; you can earn an associate degree in the arts and sciences
- University of South Florida, www.usf.edu, is a high-impact, global research university located in beautiful Tampa Bay on Florida’s spectacular west coast; The university is one of only four Florida public universities classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities
About the Florida Area
- Florida State Parks, www.floridastateparks.org, were twice awarded the National Recreation and Parks Association‘s Gold Medal Award, honoring Florida as the “Nation’s Best State Park Service”.
- Weeki Wachee North Community is just a short hour away from most of Florida’s Top Destinations
- Busch Gardens, www.buschgardens.com, is located in Tampa, approximately 36 miles from our Community
- Walt Disney World Resort, www.disneyworld.disney.go.com, in Orlando Florida is 75 miles from the Community
- Sea World, www.seaworld.com, a marine life based zoological theme park located in Orlando 60 miles from the Community
- LegoLand, florida.legoland.com, is a 150 acre interactive theme park with more than 50 rides, shows, attractions and an all new water park
- Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks, www.spongedocks.net, located in Tarpon Springs, Florida minutes from Tampa has numerous things to do and see; you will find Sponge Docks, Greek Restaurants, Bakeries, Natural Sponges, Sponge Diving, Tours, Sightseeing Cruises, Souvenirs, Shopping and Live Entertainment
- Westfield Citrus Park Mall, www.westfield.com/citruspark, located in Tampa off of Veterans Expressway (SR 589) at Gunn Highway has many shopping and dining options
- Florida is home to three major league sport teams:
- Tampa Bay Rays, tampabay.rays.mlb.com, are a major league baseball team located in St. Petersburg, their home field being “Tropicana Field”
- Tampa Bay Lightning, lightning.nhl.com, is Tampa’s professional ice hockey team skating at the “Tampa Bay Times Forum”
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, www.buccaneers.com, are part of the NFL playing at the Raymond James Stadium in Tampa
- Tampa Bay Downs, www.tampabaydowns.com, is the only Thoroughbred race track on the west coast of Florida, and is known as one of America’s oldest and most well-maintained racetracks
- The Ruth Eckerd Hall, www.rutheckerdhall.com, is a nationally recognized premier Performing Arts Center located in Clearwater; the center’s traditional and innovative performances and educational experiences draws a diverse audience.
Weeki Wachee North is a Five-Star, 55+ Active Community featuring beautiful home sites, friendly neighbors, modern amenities and a great location. Please stop by for a personal tour of our active community and our inventory homes. Or call us at (352) 596-0300 for more information.
Click Here to Contact us.